Friday, December 16, 2011

50/50


A few weeks ago, Adam and I saw the movie 50/50...and I'm going to get real with you for a second - I cried. I cried a lot. The fact that I cried at this movie (at a theater in public, no less!) is huge, because for those of you that know me personally, know that I am NOT in any way a person who shows that kind of emotion, especially in front of other human beings. In fact, I have never cried at a movie....ever. Unless you count the time when I was 4 and stood up and cried in the theater when Johnny 5 died in 'Short Circuit', but I'm not really counting that. Sure I went to see this movie because I am semi in love with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but the outcome of this film experience went beyond good looks.

It was such an incredibly moving film about the reality of dealing with cancer, but what made it really good was that it perfectly mixed being hilarious and extremely touching. It got things so right. Maybe it's because both Adam and I have been greatly affected by cancer in our lives, so much so, that the disease has taken away & changed forever, our fathers. That mere fact alone is probably why this movie has lingered with me and why I enjoyed it so much. Because at the end of the day, it's rare to come across a film that moves me to tears, really rare.

So, go see it. Now.

PS: Watch the trailer here.

No comments: